Techniques and improvement in forest restoration programs
Semester Course: 1st
Credits: 2 ECTS
Prerequisites: Forest Ecology, Eco-physiology, plant production or override permit by the lecturer
Lecturers: Antonio D. del Campo García
Web Site: www.upv.es
The main objective of the course is to gain knowledge on the elements that take place in a forest restoration program (projected works, executed works, plant material, meteorological constraints, site quality,…), their relationship and how to manage them in order to achieve a successful output in these programs. The short and long-term evaluation of reforestation success is also considered.
- Programme topics:
- Introduction to forest restoration: background, statistics and technique synthesis.
- The reforestation project
- Seedling quality: genetic, phenotypic and biological.
- Reforestation works: the importance of execution.
- Ecological constraints: Site quality and season meteorology.
- Evaluation of reforestation success on the short and long term
Course requirements include the presentation of a class summary (10%), a class project (40%) and a final exam (50%).