Special topics in effects of fire on soil sciences.
Semester Course: 3rd
Credits: 3 ECTS
Lecturers: J.R. Olarieta (Coordinator)
Web Site: www.udl.cat
- To understand soil processes and their relationship with plant development and forest management .
- To study the effects of fire on soil sciences .
- To interpret soil information and soil maps and be able to conduct a soil survey.
- Programme topics:
- Forest soils: morphology, characteristics and interpretation.
- Soil survey: office, field and laboratory techniques
- Soil degradation: field characterization, evaluation, and control techniques. Effects of forest fires
- Land evaluation for forestry: requirements for forest growth; land preparation techniques; carbon and nutrient cycles. Indicators of forest management
- Field project
Course requirements include the presentation of two practicals (10% each), a class project (20%)and a field project (60%).