Remote sensing of Forest Fires
Semester Course: 3rd
Credits: 3 ECTS
Prerequisites: Remote sensing
Lecturers: Cristina Vega and J.A. Martínez
Web Site: www.udl.cat
- To understand the physical basis for the remote sensing of fires and vegetation (fuel) dynamics.
- To review current sensors and applications.
- To acquire hands-on experience in the processing of digital data for fire-related applications.
- Programme topics:
- Remote sensing programs with fire applications potential.
- Hotspot detection and identification.
- Fuel type classification methods.
- Change detection techniques.
- Burned area mapping and severity assessment.
Course requirements include computer labs and a paper on a remote sensing application project (70%), and a written exam (30%).