Pastoral uses of Mediterranean forestry surfaces: A fire prevention tool
Institution: University of Lleida in cooperation with CTFC
Semester Course: 3rd
Credits: 3 ECTS
Lecturers: Rosario Fanlo
Web Site: www.udl.cat
- To descript and analysis different forestry surfaces from the grazing point of view.
- To compare methodologies for fuel load reduction.
- To discuss stocking rate thresholds for fire prevention plans in relevant Mediterranean landscapes.
- To analyze the suitability of forest grazing as a fire prevention tool
- Programme topics:
- Introduction to grazing and browsing management in Mediterranean forestland
- Spatial heterogeneity of ecosystems. Pattern development and characterization.
- Forest grazing as a tool for fuel load control
- Strengths and weaknesses of integrating forest grazing in fire prevention plans
- Technical and economic requirements for forest grazing
- Case study and planning.
Course requirements include the presentation of a class summary (10%), a class project (30%) and a final exam (60%).