Semester Course: 1st
Credits: 3 ECTS
Lecturers: Juan Pedro Ferrio and Luis Serrano
Web Site: http://web.udl.es/usuaris/x3845331/invest.htm
To know the main factors that are related to growth of woody plants and the particular constraints imposed by Mediterranean conditions: shortage of water, nutrient scarcity and high radiation and temperature stresses. To understand the consequences of traditional management and cultural practices on forest ecology.
- Programme topics:
- Tree growth requirements.
- The carbon balance of forests: Concepts and methods.
- Abiotic stresses in Mediterranean communities: Effects and plant responses.
- Management and Forest Ecology: Traditional practices and recent Forest Change.
- Fieldwork: Instrumentation and techniques applied to a case study.
- Reading seminar: Oral presentation and discussion of scientific works.
Class project based on fieldwork (35%). Oral presentation (15%). Final exam (50%).