Padova Practical Information
Arriving and living in Padova
• Coming to Padova https://www.unipd.it/en/coming-padova
• Visas and immigration https://www.unipd.it/en/visas-immigration
• Welcome to Padova https://www.unipd.it/en/welcome-padova
• Canteens https://www.unipd.it/en/canteens
• Healthcare and Primary Services https://www.unipd.it/en/discovering-padova/healthcare-and-primary-services
• Sport and Leisure https://www.unipd.it/en/discovering-padova/sport-and-leisure
• Welcome Days https://www.unipd.it/en/welcome-days
• Learn Italian at CLA https://www.unipd.it/en/italian-language-courses-incoming-students
We STRONGLY ADVICE to ask for accommodation at the SASSA service. They have rooms reserved for Erasmus Mundus students. It is very hard to find private accommodation in Padova.
Services to the students
• Buddy https://www.unipd.it/en/buddy
• Study Support https://www.unipd.it/en/study-support
• Libraries https://www.unipd.it/en/libraries-0
• Study and Multimedia Facilities https://www.unipd.it/en/studying-padova/services/study-and-multimedia-facilities
• Offices https://www.unipd.it/en/offices
• Resources and supports for students with disability or learning disabilities https://www.unipd.it/en/resources-and-supports-students-disability-or-learning-disabilities
• Part-time job opportunities https://www.unipd.it/en/part-time-job-opportunities
Studying in Padova:
Lectures for MEDfOR students are organized at the School of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine in Legnaro, outside the centre of Padova. The responsible department is the Department of Land, Environment, Agriculture and Forestry (TeSAF): http://www.tesaf.unipd.it/en/
1st Semester: beginning of October – end of February
2nd Semester: beginning of March – end of July
Students have to arrive ONE WEEK BEFORE lecture start. We will have welcome meetings in order to explain how the university works and the organization of the studies. Furthermore students have to complete the arrival and enrolment procedures.
Students have to FINISH ALL EXAMS before leaving Padova.
The normal thesis work flow is: (i) thesis subject is agreed with one of the Master teachers (mentor), with the assistance of one or more other persons (“Co-mentors”). Co-mentors can be people working outside the university. The student is free to select the mentor; selection should be based on mentor’s scientific background in relation to the thesis objective. The selection of thesis objective and contacts with partners should be defined by the end of the third semester, (ii) when the thesis is finalized, students make a formal request to be admitted to the thesis defense. For the thesis defense the University of Padova sets up sessions in June, July, September and October. In every session one day is dedicated to the theses defense of all students of Forest Science. For every session there are deadlines for the application to the thesis defense around 5 weeks before the date. The deadlines and the defense date are published in the web site of the School and are available at the Erasmus office. (iii) thesis defense is public and will be in front of the Master thesis Commission made up of 5 professors. Co-mentors might be invited to participate as extra members to the Commission, if they wish.
You can find more information on the procedure on this webpage:
An optional additional procedure can be applied for high quality thesis work. In this case, upon request by the student and decision of the mentor, the thesis is reviewed by an external reviewer. In this case the thesis must be submitted in advance, i.e. 4 weeks before the defense date. The review assessment of the thesis will be considered by the Master thesis Commission in defining the thesis mark.
If students are conducting their field work in a country outside Europe (e.g. in Africa, Latin America or south east Asia) they can apply for a financial contribution for covering their travel costs up to 700 €
What to bring to Padova
Shoes with good soles and rain coats are necessary for the excursions, especially for 1st year students.
For every day life, please check the information of the SASSA Service
The city of Padova and transport facilities
Usually Erasmus Mundus students are living in Padova and have to come to the campus every day by bus or by bicycle. (Busitalia company) it takes about 30 minutes from the city center to Legnaro by bus. The final destination is called like the campus, “Agripolis”.