Fire Ecology and Management
Semester Course: 1st
Credits: 6 ECTS
Lecturers: José M.C. Pereira and Ana Lopes de Sá.
Web Site: https://fenix.isa.ulisboa.pt/degrees/medfor/disciplina-curricular/564006515380585
To convey an understanding of the basic physical and chemical principles of combustion of plant fuels, and vegetation responses to wildfires, at various levels of organization, from the individual plant to the landscape. Teach the fundamental biophysical concepts required for students to understand fire prevention and restoration silvicultural practices, at both the stand and landscape scale.
- Programme topics:
- Physics and chemistry of vegetation combustion.
- Characterisation and modeling of plant fuels.
- Fire meteorology and risk indexing.
- Plant ecological adaptations and responses to fire.
- Fire effects: soil, water, atmosphere.
Course requirements include a summary presentation of a research paper (10%), a computer-based class project (30%) and a final exam (60%).