Forest Ecosystem Management
Credits: 7,5 ECTS
Prerequisites: Operations research (6 ECTS) and Forest management (6 ECTS) or override permit by the lecturer
This course aims to explore various values of forest ecosystems in preparing a participatory based multiple use forest management plans focusing on ecologic, economic and socio-cultural values
- Programme topics:
- Introduction to forest ecosystems or landscape management and its evolution.
- Exploring the role of ecological integrity, biodiversity, forest healthy, habitat management, natural disturbances and spatial planning in ecosystem management.
- Forest certification and sustainable forest management criteria and indicators.
- Social, ecological, economic and technological aspects of ecosystem management.
- Identification and examination of factors affecting forest landscape patterns/structure and process over time. Application of management science techniques to ecosystem management
Course requirements include a written midterm exam (30%), term projects, presentation performance and oral exam (20%) and a written final exam (50%)